Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Cassette Review: Robot "Walden III" (Resurrection Records)


For those who have read my reviews up until now, thank you, but I will also save you the trouble of explaining again why I feel this is such an important time in music because sounds of rock can be combined in such ways that the combinations seem limitless.    Robot is a perfect example of this as the songs on "Walden III" seem to take influences from nearly every time period of my life which involved rock n roll.

I wasn't alive in the 1960's or 1970's but there is a certain amount of classic rock in these songs.  I mostly know bands from that time from soundtracks to movies, but I'm sure someone who knows a bit more can pull out influences so I'm not going to try and type about what I don't know.   I think the earliest influence this brings for me is something from the 1990's, one of those so-called one hit wonder bands that I listened to enjoyed the entire album.   I'll give you a name but if you don't know it, it's ok:  Reacharound.

Elements of Superdrag come out in this straightforward, sometimes instrumental fuzzy rock and roll.    Jumping out of my own timeline, I will admit that it has this darker side to it at times which makes me think of Black Sabbath.   But in a more modern sense I would compare this with The White Stripes even though it's not quite the same.    On top of that it has elements of other bands you may not have ever heard before such as The Break and Halfacre Gunroom, both of whom I believe were extremely underrated.

The distorted style of this rock music is perfect for coming out of your speakers via cassette.   There is a certain type of rock music I feel works best on cassette and this is a prime example of it.   The hiss of the tape is just something added that other mediums cannot.   I'm hoping that this being on cassette now just adds to its overall appeal and longevity in the general sense of music.   I don't like to think that this is something which could be forgotten about in years like bands I've previously mentioned; I'd rather think of it as sticking around like The White Stripes and Black Sabbath.

It is also curious to me that this is called Robot simply because that can be taken a number of different ways.   I feel like a lot of music is made in a digital sense to the point where eventually songs will be developed by robots (And I will review them!) but I also feel like there is something definitely robotic in these songs.   It is by no means in a bad way, it's just more of a sort of idea that the songs are really well structured and just the mchanics of them are so down pat it's something any rock musician can learn from.


$5 //
Edition of 100 //

No comments:

Post a Comment