Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Cassette Review: Soda Lilies "Love Cemetery Tapes" (Rok Lok Records)


Somewhere between the lines of Smashing Pumpkins and Silversun Pickups is the sound of Soda Lilies.   Through fuzzy guitars come vocals hidden somewhere and in a way which most other artists do not use.   Most vocals are right out there in the front for all to hear and Soda Lilies sort of tucks them away so you have to pay extra close attention to hear them.

While I would say that the songs with vocals have a pretty decent spread but still remain more music than they are words coming out, the cassette eventually takes a detour into all instrumental bits and it just feels like you're dropping off the edge of a cliff into a distorted canyon.  Clearly a fitting end to where this takes us.  

I also feel like I must note that through the static and vocals at one point there is this part where it sounds like the cassette is breaking, almost like the way a hip hop emcee would let the beat skip, and I know it's not the particular copy of the cassette I have because it happens on both sides (this program repeats on both sides)    It's little touches like that which bring out the Andy Kaufman fan in me and have me loving this one that much more.


No comments:

Post a Comment